[Noisebridge-discuss] First Ever International Tahoe-LAFS Summit (can we host it at Noisebridge?)

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sat Jun 11 22:12:18 UTC 2011

Dear people of Noisebridge:

You may have heard of Tahoe-LAFS before -- http://tahoe-lafs.org .

It is a secure, decentralized storage system. The typical way that
people use it is to get together a group of people that each
contribute some disk space on their own server and the Tahoe-LAFS
software aggregates that disk space into a shared virtual filesystem.
The encryption built into the Tahoe-LAFS design ensures that files and
directories stored on that shared virtual filesystem are not readable
or editable by anyone else unless you've specifically shared a
reference to that file or directory. The fault-tolerance built into it
allows your files and directories to survive unscathed even if some of
the servers die or get taken over by enemies.

I am also currently creating a startup company to sell Tahoe-LAFS
storage service so that instead of sharing storage space with your
friends you rent it from my company and we store your ciphertext on
Amazon S3. (We never have access to your plaintext.)

So, the Tahoe-LAFS open source project is planning to have our first
ever International Tahoe-LAFS Summit at the end of this month. The
four most prolific coders on the open source project will be there,
plus a few other people who contribute to the project in various ways
(newbie coders, documentation, security auditing). Can we use
Noisebridge space for our meetup? We're going to be going at it most
or all of Monday the 27th through Thursday the 30th.

I've looked at the agenda and while there are always other events
going on at Noisebridge, I suspect that we could find space there, and
hopefully also a whiteboard, to do our design work and our coding
sprints.

Also if there is interest I would like to organize a community
tutorial on how to set up your own secure distributed storage grid. I
imagined Noisebridge is home to enough folks who have an interest in
this that we could set up a storage grid to share.

Please let me know:

a) Is this the sort of thing the Noisebridge space can be used for in principle?

b) Will it be too crowded or busy those mornings/days/evenings/nights?

c) Anybody want to set up a Noisebridge storage grid and/or host a
tutorial for the community: "How to run your own secure cloud storage
system" ?

Thank you!

Regards,

Zooko