[Noisebridge-discuss] Theft at NoiseBridge

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jun 9 23:03:00 UTC 2011

I agree that we should meet new people, and everyone should know everyone
else, at least by name if possible, but the thief guy was actually a
crackhead and he was singularly determined to get his next fix.  He had
already made "friends" with Sasha by talking to her at Mi Ranchito
downstairs and saying that he had met her at a party, so he could have
continued to introduce and meet people in the space if he had been
smoother.

But I looked in his eyes, and interacted with him while we were trying to
get the rest of our stuff back from him before releasing him.. he was a
wild animal.  He dropped his crackpipe (not a pot pipe) and his world
shattered.  He was unable to blend in better not because he was dressed
differently, but because he was overwhelmed by all the money-candy
flashing around before his eyes.

If he had left before trying to steal Robert's wallet (big mistake) he
would have gotten away with Sasha's phone.  She didn't even know it was
gone.  She might have left it on a table unattended, something people do
all the time with their laptops.

Friends of mine who live in West Oakland in a neighborhood with a lot of
desparate people say "It heats up in the summertime" and it's true.

As for Ilya and his mental distress, he had gotten the welcome from "the
guy with multicolored hair" and was making himself at home by taking a
bath in the bathroom sink.  At one point he explained that he was taking
Patricks' shirt because he thought that unattended things in this space
are for anyone to use.  I was there, he said it.

I think there is such a thing as too welcoming, and I think the scrutiny
new people receive is essential to the security we do have.  I'd rather
not automatically make friends with people just because they found their
way in the door.

-jake

Mitch wrote:

A really good part of "security" at Noisebridge is to welcome everyone you
see come into Noisebridge, as soon as you see them.

This not only makes people (people who we want at Noisebridge) feel
welcome, but it let's people who we don't want at Noisebridge know that
their activities are noticed.

When someone walks into Noisebridge who you don't recognize, please greet
them.  Be friendly, and ask them if this is their first time here, and let
them know what Noisebridge is about (in a couple of sentences -- such as
(my way, but use your own): "We're a non-profit community space, where
people can come to learn and teach and share what they love.  We have no
leaders, and only one rule, 'Be excellent to each other,' and you are
totally welcome here if you follow our one rule.").  If you have time,
offer to show them around.

It takes a total sociopath (or someone having a psychotic episode) to
steal stuff from people who are friendly to them, especially when they
know that people are watching them (which they will know when they are
greeted as soon as they walk in the door).  (And if they are having a
psychotic episode, then they are most likely not trying to hide it, as
with the guy trying to put Patrick's things in his bag.)

Mitch.