[Noisebridge-discuss] Theft at NoiseBridge

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:19:01 UTC 2011

Has anyone else noticed that the gate is basically open, all the time now?
It tends to either not close all the way or not latch, and I do believe
people have noticed this fact.
-Meredith

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> I agree that we should meet new people, and everyone should know everyone
> else, at least by name if possible, but the thief guy was actually a
> crackhead and he was singularly determined to get his next fix.  He had
> already made "friends" with Sasha by talking to her at Mi Ranchito
> downstairs and saying that he had met her at a party, so he could have
> continued to introduce and meet people in the space if he had been
> smoother.
>
> But I looked in his eyes, and interacted with him while we were trying to
> get the rest of our stuff back from him before releasing him.. he was a
> wild animal.  He dropped his crackpipe (not a pot pipe) and his world
> shattered.  He was unable to blend in better not because he was dressed
> differently, but because he was overwhelmed by all the money-candy
> flashing around before his eyes.
>
> If he had left before trying to steal Robert's wallet (big mistake) he
> would have gotten away with Sasha's phone.  She didn't even know it was
> gone.  She might have left it on a table unattended, something people do
> all the time with their laptops.
>
> Friends of mine who live in West Oakland in a neighborhood with a lot of
> desparate people say "It heats up in the summertime" and it's true.
>
> As for Ilya and his mental distress, he had gotten the welcome from "the
> guy with multicolored hair" and was making himself at home by taking a
> bath in the bathroom sink.  At one point he explained that he was taking
> Patricks' shirt because he thought that unattended things in this space
> are for anyone to use.  I was there, he said it.
>
> I think there is such a thing as too welcoming, and I think the scrutiny
> new people receive is essential to the security we do have.  I'd rather
> not automatically make friends with people just because they found their
> way in the door.
>
> -jake
>
> Mitch wrote:
>
> A really good part of "security" at Noisebridge is to welcome everyone you
> see come into Noisebridge, as soon as you see them.
>
> This not only makes people (people who we want at Noisebridge) feel
> welcome, but it let's people who we don't want at Noisebridge know that
> their activities are noticed.
>
> When someone walks into Noisebridge who you don't recognize, please greet
> them.  Be friendly, and ask them if this is their first time here, and let
> them know what Noisebridge is about (in a couple of sentences -- such as
> (my way, but use your own): "We're a non-profit community space, where
> people can come to learn and teach and share what they love.  We have no
> leaders, and only one rule, 'Be excellent to each other,' and you are
> totally welcome here if you follow our one rule.").  If you have time,
> offer to show them around.
>
> It takes a total sociopath (or someone having a psychotic episode) to
> steal stuff from people who are friendly to them, especially when they
> [...]

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein