[Noisebridge-discuss] Android question: I want to share, via wifi, my Internet connection. What's the best way to do this?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Jun 9 23:34:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 03:45:15PM -0700, Taylor Alexander wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 03:03:58PM -0700, Taylor Alexander wrote:
> > > Not free tethering, to my knowledge. Android supports free
> > > tethering, but all US carriers make you pay extra for it.
> >
> > Then don't tell tmobile, because I'm using it occasionally without
> > paying...
> >
> > Now it might be possible that the flagship phones (ie the ones that
> > retail for 450+) have it enabled, but the smaller android phones do
> > not.
>
> Interesting. Which phone? The only phones I'm aware of that allow that
> would be the Nexus phones, because they are the only phones to run
> completely untouched stock android, but they're not "normal" tmobile
> phones.

You people are doing email replies wrong.  I fixed it for you.

The TMO G2 shipped with USB and WiFi tethering enabled out of the box
(or else it was enabled in the first over-the-air update, I forget), at
no additional charge.  TMO has stated they want to charge for tethering
but AFAIK they haven't applied that charge to existing accounts (yet?).

I use tethering on my G2 at least weekly.  I hate many things about the
G2, but the tethering is one thing that works pretty well.

-andy