[Noisebridge-discuss] First Ever International Tahoe-LAFS Summit (can we host it at Noisebridge?)

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jun 13 13:32:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:

> Tahoe is pretty awesome.

Thanks!

> How many attendees are you expecting?

Let's see... probably a max of seven people, usually fewer. It's
always possible someone I'm not thinking of will show up, so there
could be even a few more.

That's for the part where we are actually designing and coding on
Tahoe-LAFS. In addition to that, if anyone is interested we could give
a tutorial or get together and launch a Noisebridge Tahoe-LAFS grid.
That would involve some subset of the Tahoe-LAFS hackers plus however
many Noisebridgers are interested. Looking at the Event Calendar [1],
how about Monday the 27th at 18:00?

[1] https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Events#Event_Calendar

> It might be possible to use the main room during the day, and then
> retire to one of the classrooms during the evening.  Even so space may
> be a problem ... perhaps some of the time could be scheduled elsewhere?
> Sandbox Suites, The Summit, or Parisoma might be able to host some of
> the event.

Thanks for the tips! This is the first I've heard of any of those. Are
they all for-profit? Likely to donate space to us since we're an open
source project? Would there be a community of folks who want to share
storage space with each other?

Anyway, it sounds like we can use Noisebridge for *most* of the time
we need and we can always move to someone's house or a coffeeshop too.

So, how to gauge interest in a tutorial or a "Set Up Your Own
Tahoe-LAFS Grid" event?

Another idea: you could have a Tahoe-LAFS grid in which each node was
operated by a different hackerspace. This would be a highly
distributed grid in geography and ownership, thus making it extremely
fault-tolerant.

Regards,

Zooko