[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking info about Intro to C Programming class

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 22:42:53 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:20:14 -0700
> From: adi at hexapodia.org
> To: eriktrips at gmail.com
> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking info about Intro to C	Programming	class
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:12:54PM -0700, Erik Schneider wrote:
> > Is the class using a text or texts, and if so what is/are the text(s)?
>
> I don't know what text they're using, but I'd recommend Kernighan and
> Ritchie "The C Programming Language", Second Edition, as a good way to
> learn the basics of the language.  It doesn't cover any libraries
> developed in the last 15 years, and it doesn't cover integrating with
> modern systems, but that's OK for purposes of just learning the language
> itself.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131103628
I'll concur that this is a very good book for learning to program in C.  It was written by the people who wrote the language.  They're not only really good programmers, but they are also really good teachers and really good writers. And, if you ever want to learn C++, I really like the book that I learned from:     "On to C++" by Patrick WinstonYou can get it online for free:http://people.csail.mit.edu/phw/OnToCPP/ Mitch.