[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking info about Intro to C Programming class

Erik Schneider eriktrips at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 05:37:02 UTC 2011

Thanks all you wonderfully helpful people!

I am learning C because I wanted also to learn Objective-C and
eventually develop for OS X and iOS. That's a long ways off though--I
am self-taught in programming and have not yet made the leap from
simple command-line toys to GUI application programming. Also I know
it is not necessarily necessary to learn C before Objective-C but I am
a nuts-and-bolts kind of person and like to start at relatively low
levels. Relatively. I know I could go lower still, but I have only so
many lifetimes to live.

I have the K&R and will probably go back to it soon. It was a bit
terse for a relative newbie; it was also frustrating that all the
examples in the first few chapters are for processing input but they
do not teach you how to input input until much later, so I was not
happy not being able to test my code. I could have looked ahead I
suppose, but I have a thing for starting with Chapter One and
following with Chapter Two, etc. unless I am reading poetry, in which
case starting in the middle is always recommended.

Thanks for the video links. I will check those out!

Erik