[Noisebridge-discuss] resonance project

A K amandart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 05:47:05 UTC 2011

Hi, I heard of your group through my friend, Asheesh Laroia, and thought
someone might be interested in helping me with an art project.
Anyway, I am a grad student at SFAI and I am working on a piece in which I
would like to make porcelain resonate and hum. I have made hundreds of very
thin porcelain "leaves" and I want to hang them and have them all hum, like
a chorus. I thought maybe the structure they hung from could be vibrated? I
am not sure really if this is possible or how to go about doing it. They are
highly resonant and just dropping them lightly makes beautiful tones. I do
not know much about motors or sound equipment but I would love to learn and
would appreciate any help or insight - even if it is just to point me in the
right direction. I was thinking about dropping by tomorrow or Wednesday
night to see if anyone there would be interested - but at this point I would
like to know - is what I am planning even possible? Is it possible to make a
bunch of porcelain hum together (without playing an audible tone, unless
that would make it sound cooler....)

Thanks!
- Amanda