[Noisebridge-discuss] Solar-power radios popping up around the Mission

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:04:29 UTC 2011

Well, obviously it's a mesh as it's JUST the antenna and the panel. There
are a number of reasons that come to mind that they would use the solar
panels on a pole that has power (mostly having to do with inter-departmental
politics and relations with PG&E) but the best reason I can think of to do
that is for emergency services. Or alternately, non-city "services".

Another thing that this reminds me of is the truck signalling on the
highways. (It's a national consortium for weigh stations, mostly.) It'd be a
stretch to see how they might want to expand it into the cities. However, it
looks like it's a 90 deg. polarization from those. It looks like the FasTrak
antennas are similarly polarized.

Christie
_______
We feel the pain of suffering not because we are weak, but because we are
strong.