[Noisebridge-discuss] What more can we do to turn Noisebridge into something out of a Gibson novel?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Mar 6 00:08:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM, John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> wrote:
> * Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> [110304 23:28]:
>> I'd love to outfit a room or portion of the space in a theme of sorts
>> with RGB LEDs that we can re-modulate to show what we want.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any pre-made RGB LED boards that we can control,
>> preferably over Ethernet or serial?
>> Alternatively, this could be an interesting collaborative project to
>> make a simple board filled with RGB LEDs and a microcontroller.
>>
>> Does anyone else find this to be an interesting avenue?
>
> I think this could be very interesting. In addition to RGB, it might
> be fun to throw controllable white & amber LEDs into the mix. Here's
> one local LED resource:
>
>  http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/

Wow, these guys have some interesting-looking hardware for seemingly
decent prices. Unfortunately, nothing like I had imagined. I think
it's good to keep in mind.

Around grid square G3 (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/2169_map),
there's a wonderfully beautiful multi-color board that I think Mitch
put together. Something along those lines would be perfect, IMHO.

Mitch, what was it like building that board? What was the approximate
cost (without phototransistors, if it's easy to subtract)?

Cheers,
jof