[Noisebridge-discuss] Group Grammar Clinic, Th. March 10, 7pm to ? (Church classroom)

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Mon Mar 7 23:12:23 UTC 2011

I would like to again encourage people not to bill events at Noisebridge
as being "donation requested".

I, for one, do not help to pay the rent at Noisebridge to provide a
venue for teachers to teach only to those who can afford it. I think the
gulf between "donations requested" and "donations accepted" is huge.
Requiring potential participants who cannot afford to "donate" to single
themselves out as such is not what I consider inclusive or excellent.

If you need to be paid to teach a class, I think you should raise the
necessary donations in advance to clearly separate your fundraising from
people's participation. If you will announce your class as being free
and open to all, I will gladly chip in to help pay you for your time. I
expect that a wiki page soliciting donations toward making your free
class happen would likely yield more donors (and participants).

Thanks for considering this,

~leif