[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking advice on Autocad and patents

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 01:23:11 UTC 2011

I also do lots of work in AutoCAD and other CAD programs.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question though - I'm not very
familiar with the patent application process. I can say that AutoCAD is
perfectly fine for drawing up mechanical parts, and you can easily add
dimensions and create tables of text. The text is generally all static and
not linked in any way to the content of the drawing though.

Solidworks, on the other hand, lets you design multiple parts, put them all
in one assembly, then create a drawing of your assembly with multiple views
and tables of all parts.

However, this may not be necessary at all - most of the patents I've seen
feature somewhat poorly drawn sketches of things; including patents from the
likes of Apple, etc. I don't think you normally want very exacting drawings
in your patent application, lest someone make the thing 1/8" longer and
claim it does not violate your patent.

Also, will you be filing many patents with many similar parts? If you're
only talking about one patent, having a program that can automatically
generate tables may not be worth it. Solidworks can do all that, but it's
something like 8 grand.

If you haven't talked to a patent lawyer, go and do that. If the patents
I've seen are any indication, you don't want high quality drawings; you want
vague, approximate sketches.
-Taylor