[Noisebridge-discuss] LCD monitors + other fixed shtuff

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Fri Mar 11 21:36:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Zach . <organic_unity at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hey everyone,
>   Just letting people know the deal with the LCD monitors floating around
> NB.  There is a Benq monitor and a silver and black monitor with a funky
> metal mount on the back that were repaired by me a few weeks ago.  These
> monitors took an excess of 20 hours of my time to fix so I am happy they are
> getting used at NB and getting much love.
>
> It would be nice if someone would mount the silver and black one on the
> wall facing the circuit-hacking mondays table.  The idea, is to have easy
> access for pulling up datasheets and information when doing hacking (which
> is was I use comps the most for at NB).  Miloh and I talked about it before
> but we've had too much going on to do it ourselves just yet.
>
> The other one (benq) would be nice to keep on the back desk area since that
> is a great workspace I have been using that's a little bit more removed from
> the mayhem.  I have done instructionals and stuff over there too.  If you
> want to remove it feel free, but if you could return it there when done it
> would be most excellent.
>
> Also, I have fixed both of the shuttles that were donated and the Mac G4
> with the monitor on the back desk there (so now theres 2 working G4s).  One
> of the shuttles I'm keeping to use back there, the rest feel free to move
> around and find a happy home for them.

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the shuttle boards?

> I have also fixed a GIANT inverter backlight for use to light up
> stuff...its a beautiful light and originally the idea was to put it outside
> to light up the NB logo.  Its on the hackshelf now and if anyone has any
> ideas for it Id love to set it up somewhere.  Its 30"ish in size and takes
> 24v @ 4A  (yeah, we need a PSU for it too...)  There's another 20" one too
> from a broken Samsung monitor ready to be used.

Do you know what the steady state power consumption is?  We're not supposed
to use the AC downstairs but I'll look into what it takes to run juice down
there to light up the logo.

> I'll also be taking a look at that 50" monitor donated soon as I have a
> fairly good idea how to repair or bypass it to work again.

That's quite a bit of excellence there, Zach.  Have you thought of anything
other tools you'd like besides the soldering tips we talked about?

If you can find a spare projector I can help you rig it up on a workbench
and install a computer to draw DVM readouts and datasheets directly on the
table with the projector.  If you have an LCD without a backlight we can
make a projector using the 30" backlight and a fresnel box, too.