[Noisebridge-discuss] LCD monitors + other fixed shtuff

Zach . organic_unity at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 22:28:07 UTC 2011

Hey Dr. Jesus

Someone named David Fine (d at vidfine.com) posted on the list earlier in the week with a 23" monitor working but a bad backlight...perhaps he could donate it for this ??  That's a great idea as far as projecting the image.

The steady state power really is 24V @ 4A so ~88W.  Miloh and I measured it on a test bench with the minimum settings.  The 20" one is much less I'm sure.

One shuttle had a bad ATX startup circuit so I had to bypass it (y'know, green wire to ground).  Both had bad disk drives and both needed new OS installs...so I put XP on them using a new disc drive.

As far as tools....We definitely need more heat shrink tubing (all the bins are pretty empty by now), a good pair of tweezers for SMD work, possibly a new pair of wire strippers (we only have one good one that will strip 30AWG well, they cost $6 at jameco), and we could *really* use some better screwdrivers, especially a security bit set (for star screws and such).  My repair work has lead me to swear by the $6 Huskys at Home Depot---Ive used them for years and the tips store well inside the handle.  And Jameco sells an amazing security bit set for $5.  I can probably think of a couple other tiny things too...like black electrical tape and dremel bits.  I'll give it some more thought this week.

Let me know if stuff like that sounds doable and I'll do the work of going through the jameco catalog and getting you part numbers and cost and such.

oh, and thanks again for that burrito!

Zach