[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] My Hair Is On Fire - Current events that are shaping your rights as we speak

rachel lyra hospodar rachel at mediumreality.com
Wed Mar 16 01:30:00 UTC 2011

What does it mean, to hack?

Is sewing hacking?  garments are a technological system we use to
regulate temperature.  I use a machine to modify them, creatively and in
contravention of established norms.

If yes, what about other dimensional art forms?  i just used a table saw
on plywood, is that hacking?  Plywood is a highly engineered material.
Is this only hacking if i use it as a truss, so that its properties are
called on to distribute force?  what if i use it for its unnatural flatness?

if no, what about if i sew a circuitboard into a garment?  is it only
hacking when there is conductive thread in my machine?  what about when
i am sewing an insulation layer?

Stop saying what isn't and define what is!

On 3/14/2011 11:36 PM, Evan Bangham wrote:
> Politics|Cooking|Art|Writing != Hacking
>
> Yes, hacking can involve creativity and breaking established norms, but you
> can't just use it as a blanket term to describe doing anything that involves
> these things.

<snip>