[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] My Hair Is On Fire - Current events that are shaping your rights as we speak

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:03:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

>    seems to me the issue is about the definition of the word
> "to hack". i like the definition "to attempt to solve a
> problem by artfully applying skills without reference to a
> plan or instructions." this strikes me as a specific and
> useful meaning that is valuable in its general applicability.

I  agree with that as far as it goes. I have to strengthen something about
stirring up the status quo (I take it "no plan .." means from some
authority, I can make a plan for myself if I want).  May be either
disruptively or constructively.
Usually involves making something.

>    that the meaning is restricted to coding and electronics
> strikes me as unnecessarily limiting.
>
> I sort of agree with the technological connection needed somewhere. In the
anthropological sense of tool using maybe. I think there is a fine line
between non-material technology and just cultural ways of doing things.
perhaps hacking investigates this space. So the adjective "artistic".

The tech could be to use tech in a new (artistically) and possibly
revolutionary way, couldn't do it otherwise. That's like programming but it
is cultural more general. "software" / "hardware" sort of. Abstraction layer
maybe.

This is not a short clear definition though. I think that it is important to
allow for non-material reality but keep it connected too.

The hard part for me right now is you have to work with whatever comes
along. Dumpster diving treasures are a little scarce these days.
If you are materially deprived then you are forced to go up to the next
abstraction level. But also I like to re-engineer things that maybe most
geeks think are worthless.

   i don't get the "argument from ignorance" reference (i