[Noisebridge-discuss] To hack or to punt? Trying to revive my Quad-core server.

Ken Adler ken.adler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:43:14 UTC 2011

hummm.... it just struck me that I could probably put the quadcore chips in
my other machine which currently have dualcore chips, right?  When I get
home I will look at the other server to find the model number and look up
the specs

Also, as part of the troubleshooting I bought this graphics
card<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Galaxy+-+NVIDIA+GeForce+210+DDR2+PCI+Express+Graphics+Card/9539671.p?id=1218121172103&skuId=9539671&st=galaxy%20210&cp=1&lp=2>
for
$60 (with tax and immediate gratification at BestBuy next to my office in
emeryville).

seems like you know your way around these things, Brian... is there a better
choice in the same price range that I should go for  (now that I am not in
immediate gratification/troubleshooting mode).  Could buy it off the
internet or run to frys.

Ken

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've thought about having  a machine like this as something to put a GOOD
> graphics card in, that is something that does GPGPU / OpenCL in 64 bit
> native precision. This is where the action is these days, at least in my
> neighborhood.
>
> My best thought now on playing with it is to find another working machine
> and start swapping parts. Yes there is a good chance that the motherboard is
> blown altogether or it will be soon.
>
> Smaller case I disagree with as you want the space for air circulation.
> Some people are putting in multiple gpu boards. The speedups with a GOOD
> desktop card are on the order of 256 or better. Physics codes running 24/7
> for a month are reduced to overnight. This includes image recognition
> training programs for robotics helps. The robot can learn in its sleep
> without having to hibernate for a month.
>

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Ronald Cotoni <setient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> FYI what I would do is gank the cpu memory and disk and buy a REAL cheap
>> board and put it into a WAY smaller/quieter case.  It is still an OK cpu
>> even by todays standards since it is a quad core.  It is still faster than
>> most new laptops today as well (even the i7 ones)
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Ken Adler <ken.adler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a quad-core server (
>>> http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014899R/1014899Rsp2.shtml  upgraded
>>> to 4 G RAM) that I am trying to refresh.
>>>
>>> I plugged it in and was not able to get any video .
>>>
>>> So I went out and bought a new video card and plugged that in... still no
>>> video  -  tried both VGA and DVI.  I confirmed that the monitor is working
>>> fine (plugged it into another PC and it worked)
>>>
>>> My question is, should I just give up now and resign myself to trashing
>>> the PC?
>>>
>>> Alternatively, if I bring it into NoiseBridge (coming in for Pyclass
>>> tonight) is there some strategy for troubleshooting/ necessitating the PC
>>> without access to video-out initially.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Adler
>>> <510-290-5806> <510-290-5806>510-290-5806 (cell)
>>> Ken at adler.net
>>> ----

>> --
>> Ronald Cotoni