[Noisebridge-discuss] SETI Open Source Project looking for hackers to help with Data Analysis

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sun May 1 04:03:46 UTC 2011

They have open sourced their analysis code and have 20 Terabytes of data
backlog which they are offering to the public to work on.

You may have heard that the main project is currently on hold due to funding
cuts, unfortunately just as the Kepler probe is returning much data about
earth-like exoplanets to show what direction to listen in.

The question gets raised sometimes, if they are out there why haven't we
heard anything since we have been listening now for decades ? Partly because
the sky is big but another reason is the time windows. There has been an 8
billion year period in the history of the universe when earth like planets
could have existed, our planet is 4 billion years old, that leaves a pretty
huge possible range of time to stretch over ...

Anyway it might be a fun project to participate in.

Brian

link:

http://setiquest.org/content/details-open-source-project