[Noisebridge-discuss] report from the scent dogs!

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed May 25 20:10:51 UTC 2011

So Reese and Curly, our hired hounds from http://www.scent-tek.com/ checked
the place over for signs of bedbugs this morning. They employ really nice
humans, who spent a good half hour explaining how things work, and exploring
the space with them. I'd totally recommend them.

The good news is they went over the whole place pretty thoroughly, including
the library, church + turing, the craft corner, the member shelves, kitchen
-- everywhere. No sign of bedbugs at all:

EXCEPT DUN DUN DUN

Bad news is there *is* one small trace of bedbuggery in the corner of that
tatty brown couch just outside Turing (and ironically exactly next to our
Amazon bedbug detector). The scent tek guys couldn't find any physical
evidence beyond one of the dogs giving its cut little sign of "i think i
smells something" next to the arm of the sofa. They're mailing me a full
report later today, but in conversation they recommended to be safe that we
carefully wrapped that sofa up in plastic, carefully remove it, and get the
council to take it away.

They also responded positively to the idea of doing a heat steaming
treatment around that area. Christie, you offered to do this earlier, do you
think you could come some time and do that? I'll mail you the hints and tips
they had for that.

I've got to run off to work, so I didn't have time to commandeer an
immediate sofa evacuation run. For now I've surrounded the couch with police
cordon tape and "don't sit on me" signs. Somebody please bodybag it and put
it on the street.

FUTURE STUFF:

Here's what I think we should do. Apart from getting rid of the sofa,
steaming the surrounding area from orbit, let's invite the nice dog people
to come back in a month or so to see if we're totally clear (our $200 pledge
was oversubscribed, and we have $140 left over, so with $60 from NB funds we
can cover another visit).

After that, let's have an annual inspection, on what I declare to be
Heisenbug day, May 25 (which is also Towel Day and The People's Revolution
of the Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May ). That way we can be the only place you
visit in San Francisco to have a No Bedbugs GUARANTEED BY MAMMALS WITH
SUPERHUMAN SENSE POWERS.

Also, and finally, and most importantly, PLEASE DON'T BRING STRAY SOFAS INTO
THE SPACE, and let other people know it's not acceptable to have stray sofas
come in.

I suspect that without due announcement and assurances of origin, and more
new sofas will be do-acratically ejected (as I believe one was last night).

d.