[Noisebridge-discuss] Tracking aircraft & HAM HF with Software Defined Radio / RadioFrequency map mashup

Balint Seeber balint256 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:51:16 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I’m visiting from Sydney, Australia (where I have been involved with Dorkbot
Syd <http://dorkbotsyd.boztek.net/>), and am new to the tech/hacker scene in
SF. I’ll be in town until Monday and would like to get to know you a little
better!

So far I have been fortunate enough to meet some generous people in the
scene that have lead me to Noisebridge and told me many wonderful things
about your community. However, I am yet to visit the physical space.

In particular I would love to get in contact with people interested in
Software Defined Radio and all things RF. On this theme, I have created an
aviation tracking system that plots aircraft in local airspace on a
computer: http://spench.net/drupal/research/mode-s

I’ve also been doing some SDR-enhanced HAM experiments:
http://spench.net/drupal/research/sdr

The big public/live web app I’ve been working on is the Australian
Geographical RadioFrequency Map, which shows you where every registered
radio transmitter in Australia is located, and who is assigned specific
frequencies at each site: http://maps.spench.net/rf/

The map is fully searchable by frequency, callsign, name, and emission
designator. The latest feature is the image tile overlay system that
visualises various aspects of the RF landscape (e.g. network footprint of
cell providers, microwave point-to-point links, terrain elevation). The
public mainly uses it to compare telcos, while businesses/government use it
to check on their radio networks.

If you’re interested in any further details, please visit my website:
http://spench.net/ or email me.

Also, if the Noisebridge community is happy to have me, I could bring my kit
over and give a live demo of the aviation tracking system.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks & kind regards,

Balint Seeber

PS: I’m really interested in the RF whitespace database/management here. If
anyone knows people that are involved, would you mind pointing me in their
direction? I’d love to learn more about the current state of affairs. Thank
you!