[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Re: XY Combinator

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.org
Tue May 31 16:09:35 UTC 2011

Brian Morris wrote:

> Show me a woman who doesn't consider a man's financial or job status as
> judging him up. The responsibility goes both ways. Maybe its biologically built in but I believe both sides can and should work on dealing with it. Sadly so many so called political liberals on any issue in America love to assign blame.
>
> Nevertheless I had been ignoring this thread up to now as it seemed
> inappropriate to this list, if it contains offensive material by all means censure those people !

Hey Brian, I'm actually not sure what your point is here, but I'd prefer
not to engage over private email.   What it sounds to me like you're
saying is that:

- My email from a week ago was somehow inappropriate to the list and I
should shut up.
- You are a gender essentialist.
- You think women, as a whole, use men for their money.
- The political opinions of "liberals" are whiny.

To that I have to say:

- No, it wasn't.
- I'm not a gender essentialist.
- Whatever, dude.  I suggest you avoid women if you think they're such
jerks.
- Also whatever, since I'm not "liberal".

I recommend you go on ignoring this thread. You might even want to stop
emailing me your opinions in private, since the result will be that I
forward them to the list and say WTF to them, because I consider them
bigoted and a tactic of silencing, and think that that pattern of
private communication of bigotry can be quite harmful; I think it
strongly enough to break whatever conventions of "don't forward private
emails to a list".  Public discourse works better for me when calling
out instances of sexism.

Best,

- Liz