[Noisebridge-discuss] SETI Open Source Project looking for hackers to help with Data Analysis

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Mon May 2 05:39:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM, David Strauss <david at davidstrauss.net>wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 18:34 -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> > what's a sprint ?
>
> It's a gathering of hackers to get a bunch done in a small window of
> time, generally a day to a week.

Sounds like what I meant, to set up the package of the SETI software for
general use instead of having for each new developer to go through the
rather tedious installation / build instructions.

Then of course to start playing with it a bit and generate some local
enthusiasm.

> > I was thinking about setting up a Virtual Box install of the Suse
> > Linux they require, and maybe starting on the install but would be *A
> > Lot*  more fun if a couple people wanted to get together at
> > Noisebridge and work with it together. Anyway the VB base installation
> > then could make it easier for others around here to join in.
>
> SETI has access to free AWS resources as well.

As far as I read it these are for different purposes ?

The Virtual Box thing is just an image of a SUSE system with all the
software installed and ready to use / hack. You just download VB and boot it
up, inside of whatever OS you have, any Linux or MacOS or even (ugh)
Windoze.

The AWS is cloud computing service, which SETI has free donated from Amazon,
primarily for hosting their huge mega data (20 Terabyte backlog) ?

> > Good to know someone around working on the open sourcing as it looks
> > like it is in process.
>
> The code's been out for quite some time, but we're working on better
> community support and making the project more accessible.
>
> > I can't travel outside SF City at the present time.
>
> If we headed down to SETI, I would probably set up a carpool.

that might help me, but primarily I have a schedule problem. This would
apply to the SPRINT thing possibly as well. Noisebridge is two blocks from
my home and I can go there for a few hours at a time and as my schedule
allows.

that said I am fairly (I usually have to miss 1 /4 meetings) committed to
the ML group on Wednesdays at 7:30. I wonder if we could interest anyone
there in it.

oh also I am pretty much into working in small teams but don't try and get
me into any big meetings ...

Brian