[Noisebridge-discuss] Solving the bedbugs problem at Noisebridge

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Sat May 7 06:18:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM, John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> wrote:

> * aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com> [110506 21:23]:
> > After talking with a few people, I am positive that bedbugs are at
> > Noisebridge. I'm happy to give examples of instances privately, but
> > for now, I feel it is very important that we address this issue
> > asap, lest a new breed of them hatch and cause problems.
>
> What evidence have you seen? Live bugs? Dead bugs? Moltings?

Addressed offlist.

> > A number of people have expressed doubt over whether the fogbombs
> > work, but I feel it does not hurt to try
>
> It's possible these could hurt people with chemical sensitivities.
> Also, one critique of the DIY fogger method is that it tends to
> scatter the bugs & drive them into different locations where they
> can regroup. Our space is large and porous enough to provide endless
> different locations for the bugs to shift to. And if they happen to
> be hanging out, say, inside a couch, the "fog" will likely not reach
> them. The fogger method might work in a smaller room. But in an
> apartment building for example, this could end up driving bb's into
> neighboring apartments.

This is very valid. However, a possible solution is to either spray the
floorboards along the wall with anti-bb spray, or to spread diatomaceous
earth around where they might run off to. That way if you set off a bomb and
they freak out and run away, they will run into the traps.

As far as a couch goes, we can spray down each couch, and then put a note on
the couch saying what time it was sprayed and how long people should wait
before sitting on it again.

> [...]
> 2. remove their food source (sleeping humans)
>
> If we really think bb's are at Noisebridge, we should set up some
> traps to confirm this, get a sense of where they might be, and monitor
> the situation over time.
>
> Bedbugs are drawn to CO2 (and heat too, but CO2 mostly I think). Set
> up a CO2 source on a table/stand with Vaseline-coated legs sitting
> in cups with fiber tape on the outside & slick talc-dusted plastic
> walls on the inside so's the critters climb up & in, but can't get
> out. This is excellent as the bb's are taken out of circulation AND
> you get positive confirmation of their existence.
>
> Or you can get these: http://www.insect-interceptor.com/
>
> I have a spare set of four that I could bring in for use in setting up
> some traps. If we could find a way to set a decent CO2 source in the
> center well of these, then we could possibly set up four traps. Any
> ideas for good CO2 generators? Biological-reactions? I've used dry ice
> (with success), but it's a hassle to keep running off to buy more.
>
> Regarding removing their food source, I'll repeat what I stated in an
> earlier post to this list back in October. And mind you, I am in no
> way anti-nap -- I'm a big fan of taking naps myself. I'm just trying
> to point out some biological realities we really shouldn't ignore:
>
>  "...the main reason I bring this up is to draw attention to the
>  vulnerable situation we're in with respect to people sleeping on
>  couches at Nb. If one of our couches gets infested, it would be
>  non-trivial to un-infest it. Steaming the crevices could be somewhat
>  effective (and I certainly don't want to discourage steam-cleaning),
>  but if any bugs happen to crawl up inside a couch and make a home
>  in its frame, it would be really difficult to get rid of them.
>  Placing the couch in an oven and heating it to 120°F for a 4-5
>  hours or in a freezer down to at least 32°F for a couple days would
>  probably do the trick. Most likely, an infested couch would just
>  have to be shrink-wrapped and hauled off to the dump. By far, the
>  most effective and least troublesome solution would be to prevent an
>  infestation from getting established in the first place."
>  [...]
>  If it does end up being necessary to sleep overnight, IMO the best
>  approach would be to pack (& take with you) your own sleeping bag,
>  and sleep on a folding metal cot with double-sided tape (carpet tape
>  is good) wrapped around or Vaseline smeared on the legs of the cot's
>  frame. Or place its feet in cups of oil or Tupperware tubs dusted with
>  talcum powder. And don't let any bedding touch the floor. Do some
>  research. Please be considerate to others who use the space.
>
> https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2010-October/017529.html
>   ^
>  (in retrospect, not entirely sure about the efficacy of double-sided
>   tape...Vaseline & talcum powder are quite effective though.)

Setting traps is a great idea. On the anti-nap, ehhh.... I think the problem
is less people napping, and more the lack of cleanliness. I wonder if we
have the funds at Noisebridge to pay for someone to come clean certain areas
once a month? I recall we were going to postpone discussion of this until
the buildout was finished, and over a year has passed; bringing up that
discussion again is probably a good idea.