[Noisebridge-discuss] arduino usb host shield - seeking help or advice for project

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Mon May 9 15:57:53 UTC 2011

The USB stack is really complex, and the host side particularly so as
it must support a huge range of devices. Since you ultimately want to
talk to a serial device, using USB is pretty much overkill IMHO. It
may work, but if it doesn't it's going to be a bear to debug.  In
particular the MAX3421E may not recognize the PID/VID  for your
particular flavor of USB->serial.

If you can get to the Tx and Rx on your device, the easiest solution
*by far* is to interface that directly with the UART on the AVR. If
the voltages are compatible (5V? 3V3?) you should be able to directly
connect Tx, Rx, and ground and it will work.

As you know, the AVR UART is very capable and can easily handle most
baud rate and stop bit configurations.

If you really want to use USB, another option is to use the ATMega8U2
on board the Uno, and reprogram it with the LUFA stack as a virtual
serial host. In this case you can poke at the code and make sure it
enumerates your devices' PID/VID.

HTH.