[Noisebridge-discuss] Solving the bedbugs problem at Noisebridge

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Mon May 9 21:20:36 UTC 2011

Can the dogs that are often at NB be responsible? Or, conversely, if people
are just getting bites- are we sure it's not fleas?

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Christine Dibella <
christinedibella at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Griffen, this is the best suggestion by far.  I'm from the east
> coast too and had experience with bedbugs.  I think it is important to
> immediately notify everyone who visits Noisebridge of the bedbug problem so
> they can prevent bringing bedbugs back to their home. Noisebridge can
> collectively deal with the bedbug problem, but it could ruin an individual
> like me. When i travel I put everything through a dryer in a Laundromat
> (including shoes*).  I suggest putting a sign on the door immediately, so
> people can take precautions & if there is a way to bring a dryer in to the
> space that would also help protect people from bringing bedbugs home.
> On May 9, 2011, at 1:33 AM, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>
> Right now, I'm living in an area of the east coast that is having some sort
> of bedbug epidemic. Let me just say that it *is* possible to fight and win,
> but it requires a combination approach and patience.
>
> Presuming that NB does have bedbugs, I'd just like to concur with what
> others have stated:
>
> 1) The space should be inspected to see if there ~are~ bedbugs and to get a
> handle on how big the problem is.  An exterminator is going to be your best
> bet on this.
>
> 2) DIY fogging is not an effective solution for the space.  There are just
> too many places for them to hide, and many of these places won't be affected
> much by fogging.  Fogging in this way leads to a months-long cat-and-mouse
> game with bedbugs that winds up being extremely aggravating for all
> involved.
>
> 3) Couches will likely need to be tossed if they are infested (be sure to
> wrap them in plastic first, to minimize bedbugs escaping).  If that has to
> happen, maybe people can bring in non-upholstered chairs as needed?
>
> 4) Treating with very cold compressed air, high heat, and alternating both,
> is probably the best solution for getting rid of them (barring an amazing
> exterminator solution).
>
> 5) The key to treating with high heat is to do it FAST, or they will simply
> leave the heated area and return once it's cooled.  You can rent equipment
> that can pull this off.  Caveat: This would be 130F-140F for 2-3 hours.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Griffin
>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Christine DiBella <
> christinedibella at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi, I haven't actually read this whole discussion, I have some suggestions
>> and I apologize if I'm repeating anything previously discussed.
>>
>> 1. Contact Vector Control for an inspection
>> http://www.sfdph.org/dph/EH/Vector/default.asp
>>
>> 2. the most effective way to treat a bedbug problem is by heating the area
>> to 115+ degrees for 20min, no chemicals if fact chemicals are often not
>> effective
>>
>> 3. I agree with getting rid of the couches, future couches should have a
>> frame that would not harbor bedbugs and cushions that could be washed and
>> put in a dryer.

> [...]

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein