[Noisebridge-discuss] Solving the bedbugs problem at Noisebridge

Christina Olson daravinne at gmail.com
Wed May 11 00:54:15 UTC 2011

Ok guys, public service announcement.

Last night I went to the space and did a comprehensive furniture inspection
with another person (john m.).  Both of us have had bedbugs in the past and
successfully eradicated them, so we're kind of prequalified for knowing what
to look for (small dark bugs, black spots that mark bedbug excrement,
molts).

We found NO SIGNS OF BEDBUGS WHATSOEVER.  Let me repeat that.

THERE ARE NO BEDBUGS AT NOISEBRIDGE IN THE COUCHES, CHAIRS OR TABLES.  You
no longer need to hide yo kids, wife, or husband.

However, bedbugs are a real problem in urban areas and SF in particular is
having an epidemic.  The bedbug conversation has popped up regularly and I
have no doubt it will continue to do so.  The space is in fact at a
relatively high risk for being a transfer point for infestations due to the
high traffic and volume of new/random people who come through and sit down,
drop their backpacks, etc.  Having upholstered furniture is a big risk;
 bedbugs like to collect in crevices near places where warm bodies occur
regularly.  Also people have this strange habit of bringing random crap in
off the street which might be infested.

There are a few things we can do to minimize the chance that we do get an
infestation:

1. STOP BRINGING CRAP IN OFF THE STREET.  Noisebridge is not your personal
trash removal service.  This goes double for clothes and furniture items.

2.  Be careful about where you put your bag.  Keep it in the cubbies and
away from the furniture.  Inspect yourself before you infect yourself (and
the space).

3.  Get rid of all the couches and chairs, and do not bring any more in.
 Replace them with furniture made specifically for noisebridge.  John is a
DIY furniture maker and he made the big center work table in the woodshop;
he said he'd be willing to consider a furniture class where the class
project is making bedbug-proof couches and chairs for noisebridge to replace
the sketchy random furniture.  I like this idea myself and would take part
in it directly as a student, and at least one more person is already on
board with it.

I can't make it to tonight's meeting but I'm sure you guys will run this
shit into the ground in my absence.  I can provide further pontification
upon request.