[Noisebridge-discuss] "Hack Politics" -- still going on?

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Mon May 16 05:13:36 UTC 2011

Hey there --

I have to fess up to this one.  I created this event after some chatter on
the list, and while I am very passionate on the topic and have a long term
interest in it, I've been just too overcommitted this year to maintain it
and haven't been able to find someone else to keep it going.

I completely spaced taking down the event from the wiki -- if you want to
take it on, please feel free.  I may otherwise try to revive it sometime in
the future after I get over my current hump.  I could even work with you for
a couple of sessions if you want to pair  on it  for a bit (there may be
some other people that could be interested in leading this as well).

Some words of advice (on my todo list):
   -- the combination of "hacking" and "politics" is a potential magnet for
crazies.   Make sure you keep focused and find ways to weed out people who
just like to hear themselves talk early on.   One conspiracy theorist that
doesn't shut up is worth 10 right wing infiltrators
   -- there is a lot of interest in this topic, but keep the topics simple
and focused and harness data and multimedia as much as possible.   Political
discussions that go no where are exhausting, but sharing stories, numbers,
and tactics help take politics from a theoretical stance to a grounded
hackable sphere.

Cheers,
Praveen