[Noisebridge-discuss] City of Berkeley explanation of why not using open source.. Open Source vs. "proprietary" software

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Wed May 25 23:10:22 UTC 2011

FWIW

you might try such an OS as SUSE Enterprise. They call some of their
enhancements Service Packs (MS Lingo).

maybe more trust, contact them and ask if they can list any city governments
as references ...

of course another option is Oracle Enterprise Linux (formerly Redhat).

support is optional with these but should be cheaper than MS and better
quality.

with Open Source the whole idea is to save money by cooperating across the
entire span of users, although Oracle sells training there are user groups
of course as well at various levels, many of whom are contributors to the
actual software.

It seems to me that people migrating from MS products need support for that
process as a smooth transition. One way is to make structures like these
that are similar to MS support. Just container for a better product.