[Noisebridge-discuss] City of Berkeley explanation of why not using open source.. Open Source vs. "proprietary" software

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Tue May 31 15:03:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 02:41:27PM +0000, Jason Dusek wrote:
>   Their assessment is a reasonable. Their staff have a lot of
>   MS training and experience; there will be considerable
>   expense and confusion for them should they move to MySQL.

On the other hand, there are large amounts of free software developers
who are used to not paying for developer tools, documentation and
training and so can be hired relatively inexpensively (and I'll wager
that there are many available from the UCB CSUA).  Do not,
however, expect the current help to applaud this :-)

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/

>   Forcing technical decisions on technical people for political
>   reasons is unfortunately all too common and leads to
>   inefficiency, stagnation and poor morale.

Excellent point, even though I am a F/LOSS advocate.

I hear Brazil, in addition to placing the health of their citizens
above "intellectual property" rights of international corporation by
making patented drugs available at generic prices, has also gone
open-source for (all? national?) governmental functions.

I could be wrong, however.
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
He who lives by the computer, dies by the computer.