[Noisebridge-discuss] Mess on soldering table

rachel lyra hospodar rachel at mediumreality.com
Fri May 27 17:12:22 UTC 2011

Ha ha ha aha, so your hypothesis is that people are messier in reaction
to a perceived cleanup effort, further that the cleanup effort had a
specific beginning, and further that before that beginning people were
less messy?

My hypothesis is that people have always been messy, people who work to
counter the mess send more emails than they used to, and that other
people such as yourself are noticing the mess more than they used to as
a result of this public awareness campaign.

anyway, my solution in my personal space to the tension between
chaos/order is to have bounded areas of chaos: places that it's ok to
leave a mess while i am working on something, and containers within
which a mess that fits into a category (ie, all the tools/materials
relating to a specific area of exploration or project) is left in all
its chaotic glory.

I also don't like to leave my stuff out in people's way or in public
spaces.  Not everyone has that personal rule.

I want to point out in a public-service-announcement kind of way that
any soldering table is already covered in toxic chemicals.  Especially
those who bring children to the space will want to make sure food
doesn't touch soldering work surfaces, as my understanding is that
consuming lead is worse for kids than grownups.

R.