[Noisebridge-discuss] Mess on soldering table

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Sat May 28 00:36:50 UTC 2011

Was left while researching proper disposal methods, as per the note I left,
which I did, and now it's gone.
The end.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM, rachel lyra hospodar <
rachel at mediumreality.com> wrote:

> Ha ha ha aha, so your hypothesis is that people are messier in reaction
> to a perceived cleanup effort, further that the cleanup effort had a
> specific beginning, and further that before that beginning people were
> less messy?
>
> My hypothesis is that people have always been messy, people who work to
> counter the mess send more emails than they used to, and that other
> people such as yourself are noticing the mess more than they used to as
> a result of this public awareness campaign.
>
> anyway, my solution in my personal space to the tension between
> chaos/order is to have bounded areas of chaos: places that it's ok to
> leave a mess while i am working on something, and containers within
> which a mess that fits into a category (ie, all the tools/materials
> relating to a specific area of exploration or project) is left in all
> its chaotic glory.
>
> I also don't like to leave my stuff out in people's way or in public
> spaces.  Not everyone has that personal rule.
>
> I want to point out in a public-service-announcement kind of way that
> any soldering table is already covered in toxic chemicals.  Especially
> those who bring children to the space will want to make sure food
> doesn't touch soldering work surfaces, as my understanding is that
> consuming lead is worse for kids than grownups.
>
> R.
>

> On 5/26/2011 8:01 PM, Brian Morris wrote:
> > Haven't you noticed the huge mess everywhere since the cleanup movement
> > has been going on ?
> >
> > Many creative, otherwise considerate people have reactions to what feels
> > like too much organizing. I've been in internal conflict for years over
> > this issue. If there's a solution I'd like to hear about it.
> >

> > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Robby <robwasab at gmail.com
> > <mailto:robwasab at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Alright, there's a bunch of circuit board printing chemicals on the
> >     soldering table as of this wednesday night and it took at least 60
> >     percent of the workspace. Not to point fingers or anything, but
> >     Meredith did it, she did it, it's a complete mess, don't point any
> >     fingers if it is still there tomorrow morning. she did it, i don't
> >     usually complain about messy stuff, but it was disgusting, i mean,
> >     what if somebody was eating there, or drinking something, there's so
> >     much crap there and they're like liquids, dangerous and toxic ones
> >     at that.
> >
> >     -Robby Tong

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein