[Noisebridge-discuss] [ml] I am interested in starting an optimization group at noisebridge (BetterBridge? TrollSearch?)

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sun May 29 02:32:05 UTC 2011

I apologize that perhaps I was all over the place before in this thread. As
far as the algorithms and projects go I am very interested in anything with
longer term really research stuff especially if it might lead to
publication. I'll try my best to get to ML meeting this week if I can.

My interest in ML did indeed evolve from Linuistics/CogSci/Philosopy;
however my formal training was in Math/NumericalScientificComputing. Just I
got away from the latter for some years and coming back in reading a lot got
into the former by self-study. Gradually got more into Computational
linguistics and then out again and exploring some real world problems
interest in the ML group. My more recent math interests mostly in Logic/
reasoning models.

The wiki page for ML at Noisebridge lists a ML video course from Stanford (
see https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/NBML_Course) , but last week I was
indeed looking at ESL text which Mike included in his refs for random
forests (the first presentation he gave before last week).

My web scraping by hand led me to two or three groups, in the east and
midwest, some connections way back MIT and Yale but more recently Mich,
Indiana and CMU (Europy: a) maybe some Edinburgh school as well ? Used the
term ML back in the late 60's to distinguish them from AI workers b) Luc
Steels' work on evolution of language with Alife and Robotics). Most
striking to me this particular HRI group

http://hrilab.cs.tufts.edu/research/

 and especially impressed by perspective of the CMU Machine Learning dept
leader Tom Mitchell:

Book:
www.cs.cmu.edu/~*tom*/mlbook.html
Interview on his perspective:
videolectures.net/mlas06_*mitchell*_itm/