[Noisebridge-discuss] [ml] I am interested in starting an optimization group at noisebridge (BetterBridge? TrollSearch?)

Crutcher Dunnavant crutcher at gmail.com
Sun May 29 17:05:17 UTC 2011

Here's a class of problems I'm interested in.

Given a function f:a->b, and a known y in b, find an x in a such that
f(x)~=y.

This problem is only solvable if f has certain characteristics, but it has
many very exciting applications. We can search for the muscle movements
underlying a speech act, the fingerings behind a piece of music, and the
texture on the set of an old tv show.

Calling this machine learning is a bit of a stretch, but sure, we can talk
about it. Just don't expect to much rigor from me yet.