[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge.net has joined the "StopCensorship" movement

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Nov 16 21:48:22 UTC 2011

I know it's tempting to think that they will only mess with DNS, and we
can all just make our own alternet DNS or start memorizing IP addresses,
but that's not the way the US government works.

They will outlaw DNS to banned sites, and then they will go to court to
block access to those sites, and routing will get severely fucked with.
Don't believe for a second that SOPA or PIPA will be limited to what they
have already described;  guaranteed they will take it much further.

start preparing now.

-jake

aestetix wrote:

It turns out there is a nasty bill floating through US Congress right now
(called Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA), and privacy groups like the EFF
are rightfully concerned about it. Among other things, this bill would
expand government abilities to takedown websites to the DNS level,
allowing the US to effectively blacklist entire websites. This is not
cool.

The EFF and several other groups (reddit, mozilla, and others) have
decided to bring attention to this by "censoring" their logos. We've
"censored" the Noisebridge.net logo on the website for the day (November
16) to join the effort and support free speech on the internet. You can
find more information about this effort at http://americancensorship.org/.

Also, check out these links for more information on SOPA and why it is bad
and scary:
https://www.eff.org/issues/coica-internet-censorship-and-copyright-bill
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/explosion-opposition-internet-blacklist-bill
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/stop-online-piracy-act-blacklist-any-other-name-still-blacklist