[Noisebridge-discuss] Paid for cleaners, have they ever come by the space?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Nov 22 23:19:03 UTC 2011

Thanks for answering one of my questions (outline what cleaning has
happened) Still wanting to hear a response for how much it cost us, and
how that's improved the space over not paying a cleaners for cleaning
service. Additionally now after reading your response I would also like
to know the hours spent each week by the cleaning crew.

Will Sargent wrote, On 2011-11-22 02:28:
> Cleaners came by the space three times in total, once a month, around
> 10 am.  They cleaned the floors, counter tops, bathrooms and swept
> around the place, not including the shop or member shelves.  The aim
> was to go for the areas that Noisebridge cleaners tend not to go for.

Over the past two months I have noticed our bathrooms looking much more
filthier than normal. My educated guess through deduction would direct
me to believe that the patrons of Noisebridge who normally help to clean
up the bathrooms (many of us), have stopped because they don't see a
need to since we've got paid cleaners. Since the bathrooms need to be
cleaned more often than just once a month, they've totally gone from
being nice to kinda gross. I'm sure others will disagree on many of
these points.

> To your point -- why Noisebridge looks like a festering cackhole -- is
> because a) once a month and b) they were told not to clean any of the
> tables off.

I'm speaking more of general filth on the ground, bathrooms, kitchen,
etc, places where it sounds like the cleaners did clean.

> Why were they not cleaning the desks off?  Two reasons: one,
> Noisebridge has odd shit on tables, and two, we went through a number
> of cleaners who would simply not take the deal at all at the rate we
> were offering once they saw the space.  Even my friendly neighborhood
> cleaners passed on it, and they're hungry for work.

I'm on the fence on paying others to clean up after ourselves, very much
against the idea to pay others because we don't want to pick up our own
toys after we're done playing, that's what the TechShop is for.

> As to why Duncan didn't see them, I have no idea.  They showed up the
> first time, and they've continued to send invoices after that, and
> I've paid them with the expectation that they showed up and did their
> jobs.  If your implication is that they invoiced us and never showed,
> I can dig into them for more details, but I doubt it's worth their
> while to rip us off when they had a perpetual offer in front of their
> noses.

No that's not why I'm nagging about this. It's more about we're paying
money for a service that is ineffective at the frequency we've having
them do it, and at the same time a bit pointless and wasteful of funds
since all of us are capable to clean up a space we contribute to.

> Ultimately the proof is in the pudding.  I think it's been worthwhile
> myself, and a number of people commented to me that NB has looked
> cleaner to them -- so while your opinion is noted and valued, there is
> a spread.

Saturday night I was at Noisebridge, there were a pair of guys
experimenting with cooking some of the oyster mushrooms with peppery
things. Shannon, Kaya and I showed up with materials to create
daiquiris. We all made a mess of the kitchen. By the end of the night
the kitchen was cleaner than we found it.

How many hours have we spent discussing this? How many of those hours
could have gotten spent cleaning the space up?

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net