[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] Wall building

jim jim at well.com
Sun Nov 27 19:15:16 UTC 2011

    (apologies for the length--"didn't have time to write
a short one.)

    we should not connect a switch to flex; we should use
conduit instead--use flex for ceiling areas and other
places where people can't get at it.

    In the Turing "cave", there is conduit running around
the tops of the existing walls. In the conduit are (mainly)
three wires: one black, one white, one red. they are all
hot.
    the white is a common return for both the black and
the red.
    the black powers the receptacles in the room.
    the red is supposed to provide power for lights. as
things are now, the red is supplying power to a receptacle,
just outside of the cave, that is being used for the coffee
and hot water makers on the table that was against the
wall (the receptacle should be apparent about eight feet
east of the turing doorway and about 18 inches off the floor.
    all three wires a powered from a box in the north wall
very near the floor. the wires coming from the wall have
tags that specify the circuit breakers in the north sub-
panel.
    (note that our collective habit of using the circuit
breakers to turn on lights will, as of yesterday, not work.)

light plan summary:
    in the turing classroom, face the south entrance and you
should see a junction box above and to the left of the entrance.
    the idea is to run conduit to a new switch box on the wall
and to a new ceiling junction box.

switch box:
    one new red wire in the conduit to the switch connects the
existing red wire and one lug of the switch; a second new red
wire in the conduit connects the other switch lug to the lights.

light fixtures:
    both fluorescent light fixtures should get power from flex
tails (like all the other such light fixtures), and the two flex
tails should connect to a new junction box that we put on the
ceiling, between the two light fixtures.
    we must run conduit from the existing box to the new
junction box and in that conduit run the red from the switch and
also a white that ties to the existing white to the new ceiling
junction box.
    in the new ceiling junction box we connect the white to the
white in each flex tail and connect the red to the black in each
flex tail.

    NOTE: for the Church cavelet there are circuits ready to bring
from the (horrid) little box in the north wall of the turing room
through some more conduit to provide power for receptacles and
lights for Church-goers.

    NOTE: for the dirty workshop, it seems best to me that we
bring power for receptacles and lights from the sub-panel that's
already in the dirty workshop (on the west wall).
    As things are, the dirty workshop power comes from the north
sub-panel. if we change to use power from the sub-panel, we'll
be drawing from the north west primary sub-panel. The thing to
be aware of is that the north sub-panel (top of stairs) connects
to one main supply in the basement and the north west primary
sub-panel connects to a different main supply in the basement.
I believe PG&E bills those two separately; they certainly can if
we negotiate it. In the future we may want to be mindful of the
billing implications.
    Duty required that I explain.
    I say use the sub-panel in the dirty workshop to power the
dirty workshop and to hell with the future.