[Noisebridge-discuss] could you host my media wiki pages, 2-4 months?

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 00:35:03 UTC 2011

Huh.  ec2 instances are not backed up unless you write scripts to back them
up to SOMEWHERE.  They are not salable unless you actually make them
scalable (mysql replication, load balancing).  It isn't the "cloud" like
you think it is.  Also ec2 or ec2 clones are over priced for a single wiki.
 www.lowendbox.com for significantly cheaper VPS servers (that is really
all ec2 is by itself).   Also, I don't charge for hosting sites.  At all.
 You should really take a look at the hosting options out there
and evaluate them first hand before deciding for or against ec2 or really
any other option there.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM, John Adams <jna at retina.net> wrote:

> Why not use Amazon EC2 with Elastic Block Store and S3 on a ec2-small
> instance.  To the Cloud!
>
> Backed up, redundant, safe. Snapshot-able, scalable, and less than
> $40/month.
> Throw it on a credit card and pay for it when you have cash on hand.
>
> Anyone still dicking around with small servers that they are maintaining
> in co-lo, by hand, are nuts.
>
> If you can't afford Ec2, go with GoGrid.
>
> -john
>

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Ronald Cotoni <setient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can host this.  I have a server located in a datacenter in Chicagoland.
>>  I do daily, weekly and monthly backups.  I can even sync your backups
>> offsite somewhere via ssh if you would like via rdiff-backup.  You will
>> never lose your data again!  It also runs the familiar cPanel software.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi to all,
>>> My host provider justhost have lost all my data from my account (3 years
>>> worth of emails) and my webpages, they hardly apologized. I'm looking for a
>>> place where I could install media wiki and host them there for 2-4 months
>>> before I find another provider (and I've money to pay for the transfer, I'm
>>> now broke waiting for my first wages). The traffic and size of the wiki
>>> should be quite low.
>>>
>>> If you could help me with that please let me know, the webpages are down
>>> for more than two weeks (I was on the road when it happen).
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Frantisek
>>>
>>> PS I've got the wiki pages data through google cached pages so I just
>>> need place where to install the media wiki and maybe a bit of help with the
>>> installation, once I've the account I'm ready to go.

>> --
>> Ronald Cotoni
>> Systems Engineer

Ronald Cotoni