[Noisebridge-discuss] g4 laptop looking for good home

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 03:45:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Larry Ogrodnek <ogrodnek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an old 12" G4 mac laptop (circa 2003, running OS X 10.4
> [Tiger]) that needs a good home.  It (was) a great little machine, and
> I feel like someone must have a use for it.  It has built-in ethernet
> and wifi.
>
> Most mac software from the last few years will probably not run on it
> (likely to be intel only),

There's a pretty fair amount for Leopard (10.5). My macbook was in the shop
for a week recently and I got along with a g4 just fine. The main
limitation is no hd video. Is not fast but useable. Leopard wants 867 mhz
min.

Ubuntu stopped supporting G4 builds a couple of years ago, so you may
> also have a hard time getting it to run linux (at least ubuntu
> anyway).

Actually its just an unofficial (user supported) version. For me this
eliminate one reason I dislike ubuntu. Anyway I have a current ubuntu
running on two g3 macs. g4 is not optimized for and never was. If one wants
to custom build apps for g4 they can be up to 3x faster.

Debian is officially supported (my preference) and a couple other distros
still for ppc. No problem. Flash support is tricky tho (try html5 for
utube, or download and play w/ standalone player).

hardware sometimes requires installing firmware package (eg wifi  graphics
accel)

> I also have an old iSight (firewire) video camera to go with it, and
> various adapters to get VGA and RCA video out from the laptop.
>
> wow cool.

> if you can use it, it's yours.

i don't really need it in my collection but if anyone wants os installation
help i'd be glad to assist.