[Noisebridge-discuss] Job opening shortly at Microchip - FAE

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 00:25:57 UTC 2011

Hey fellas and ladies,

After nearly three years of employment at Microchip
Technology<http://www.microchip.com>in San Jose, I've decided it's
time to take my side-job to the next level.
Sewww starting November 18, 2011 there will be a vacancy for a field
applications engineer. The position is about 50% with customers and 50%
creating their systems so it's quite a bit more social than a regular
applications job. Base compensation is excellent plus additional fringe
benefits like paid vehicle expenses (insurance, gas used for business, oil
changes), paid smartphone and the ability to take customers out for fancy
dinners and whatnot. And trips to CES, ESC, MASTERs, Macworld, Gamers
Conference, etc. And all the development tools, public/unreleased parts you
can imagine.

If you like microcontrollers and making prototype products with them, this
will be your dream job. It certainly was mine. My focus was consumer
electronics like mobile device accessories (iPod/iPad/iPhone/Android), game
console audio DSP stuff and fitness devices. I simply cannot say enough good
things about the work content and the people as well.

That said, there are a few requirements:

-Working with MCUs and the parts that support them (ADCs, LDOs, PCB layout,
etc.) must be your hobby. Or at least a persistent genuine interest.
-For the first several months at least, you should be present at the San
Jose office (450 Holger Way, San Jose). After getting your bearings you'll
be able to work from home a good percentage of the time.
-You must be good with people face-to-face. You will be meeting with
customers and some of them will piss you off. Keep calm and carry on!
-You must know how to program microcontrollers in C, and understand enough
assembly to figure out if the compiler has generated an error in its output.
-You must have regular access to a vehicle.
-You must not be uptight. We like our occasional off-color jokes in the
office.
-Sometimes you will provide phone support to a consultant to detail a
register and it will take 10 minutes.
-Sometimes you will design THE WHOLE SYSTEM for a high-volume application
and it will take 9 months. Meanwhile you will continue to give phone support
every once in a while to those consultants.
-You will be working with 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit microcontrollers.
-You must know how to use test equipment (oscilloscope, multimeter, logic
analyzer, protocol analyzer, etc.) effectively.

The others in this company are very good at their job and will provide help
whenever you ask - just pick up the phone. Alternately, you can fly down to
headquarters and have a pow-wow with the expert(s) in a subject to really
get the hang of it. The hierarchy is very flat and you can talk to people
you wouldn't normally think you could.

I'll be happy to sit down and yak with anyone interested in such a position
- I plan on being at Noisebridge tonight and tomorrow for the DorkBot event.
In any case, drop me an email!

Cheers,

--
Anders Nelson