[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed Oct 12 17:57:40 UTC 2011

How to power nap with caffeine.  Use this trick to crack yourself out with
out "drugs" and without hogging up all the couches at Noisebridges.  This is
a simple and effective tool and though it will crack you out, you will at
least get another 4 hours of alertness without being a burden on society:

   1. Set alarm for 15 minutes.
   2. Drink caffeine QUICKLY!
   3. Pass out.
   4. Wake up when your alarm sounds.
   5. Eat something solid, but small.

You will have convinced your brain that you have slept enough.  You won't
have, but you will have flipped three singles that will satisfy your urge to
sleep.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re sleep hacking: the 20 minute kind is pretty common, but mine has been
> more like the 1-hour kind and I do it after work (since I like to stay up
> late). Is there a knack to sleeping 1 hour without waking up groggy / slow ?
> I dunno.
>
> too often people who nap at NB are inconsiderate of others, taking up a
> seat that is needed or blocking access some way.
>
> IMHO if naps are allowed there should be a designated nap space for one
> with a sign that encourages sharing. Then it would be implicit that other
> areas are Not for Napping.
>
> Brian
>

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Leif Ryge <leif at synthesize.us> wrote:
>
>> On 10/11/2011 03:32 PM, Al Sweigart wrote:
>> > Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space? Who has
>> > a problem with it? Who doesn't have a problem with it?
>> >
>> > -Al
>>
>> I think people shouldn't make a habit of it, and I'm not opposed to
>> waking up those who do.
>>
>> I am opposed to officially banning napping (which I'm assuming is what
>> you're actually getting at). I've been unconscious there myself a few
>> times, and I know a number of sleep hackers (people have joked about
>> this, but I'm totally serious) who've visited Noisebridge and would have
>> been been significantly inconvenienced if they had to leave to take
>> their scheduled 20 minute nap.
>>
>> I think we all agree that using Noisebridge as one's residence is a
>> failure to be excellent, but I actually find some varieties of residing
>> there which don't include sleeping at all (eg, staking out one's own
>> area and being there nearly all the time) to be more problematic than
>> occasional sleeping. I don't think we need to make any rules about that
>> either though; just talking to people seems to work well enough.
>>
>> I understand that some of those who take it upon themselves to wake up
>> sleeping people at NB would much prefer to be able to say "we all agreed
>> there is a rule that nobody can ever be asleep here". But, we don't
>> actually all agree about that. There are a myriad of ways to not be
>> excellent, and we aren't likely to agree on a set of them to make and
>> enforce specific rules about, so I think we ought to deal with this
>> class of unexcellent behavior the same way as any other: by reasoning
>> with people.
>>
>> ~leif
>>
>> ps: the first google hit I see for "sleep hacking" is about Rachel
>> McConnell, who afaik does not sleep at Noisebridge :)

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>