[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 00:10:30 UTC 2011

I'm OK with people napping in Noisebridge as I've alway beenand based on previous experience I'm not alone. I've been in thread like this before. I've promised at that time that I'll not sleep or nap at Noisebridge, however I do support point of view that hackerspaces in general should have a "living/sleeping" options too. I've seen already hackerspaces doing this in reality and it seems to work, of course infrastructure and agreement of the community is needed.

In this case I've the same feeling as before. It is really easy to start "lets kick all the sleepers asses thread" but even if you try as hard as you can,  there will be alway people who will tell you "nope sleeping/napping in the place is fine with me". As long as these people are around the Noisebridge or supporting from the distance, wide spectrum of colors applies.

I assume that current stage of Noisebridge is similar as a year ago, which means that it is lacking the infrastructure, "paper work" and general support for sleeping/living options within the space, therefore people should not do it on regular basis. However if you have really "hot project" and you are submerged I would say sacrifice a bit of yourself and community and go for it. We have done it in academia before and it works great. The amount of work which you can do if you are just in the spot "undisturbed" by the out side world is amazing. Anyone who spend few nights in Noisebridge and probably any other hacker space knows, that sleeping in the spot is kind of "last resource" option which you should avoid because it is a pain.

Best of luck with this issue,

Sincerely,

Frantisek

PS I would suggest that showers and "bullet rooms" should be installed in the place, at least for the "international visits". That would be cool and if the community would decide on guidelines how to use such infrastructure, it would be a big example for other hackerspaces.