[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 03:57:08 UTC 2011

Rubin, I want minimize drama, which is exactly why I'd like people to
talk about this and try to resolve it instead of it being a perennial
conflict like it's been. Right now it's not about a specific person,
which is a perfect time to talk about it. This way it doesn't
degenerate into "I like/dislike person X, which is why sleeping at the
space is fine/a problem."

I don't want to bring it up at a meeting because it'll probably be a
long conversation and I didn't want to force everyone to sit through
it (or force people to chose between staying at a two hour meeting or
going home and being excluded.) Email's great for this kind of
discussion: people don't have to immediately respond to everything and
only the people who want to participate do.

And from the number of people on this thread, people apparently do
want to talk about this. A few people are saying "sleeping overnight
is not a problem" and others are saying  "even napping is a problem",
but the way the issue is, if we shut down any discussion about it,
it's essentially giving the sleepers a free pass except for the rare
occasions when the Noisebridge-is-not-for-nappers folks are there to
wake people up.

I want to hear people's reasons why they think napping is okay because
I don't think there are any valid reasons (but maybe I'm wrong.) What
I don't want to hear is people saying "let's stop talking about it" or
"it's not a problem and this discussion should end". There are people
who have a problem with it and it's not fair to ignore their
complaints by trying to get them to shut up.

I'm against napping in the space, but I don't want to get my way
because I was able to badger enough people into submission or get a
loud enough group on my side. I want to listen to other people and
encourage them to speak their mind. It's clear there's no consensus on
this, but maybe we can figure out some kind of middle-ground besides
people continually bugged about the sleepers and the sleepers
continually bugged about being woken up or told to leave.

It doesn't need to be resolved ASAP, it just needs to stop being put
off. So let's talk about it.

-Al