[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Joshua Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 05:29:10 UTC 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Al Sweigart wrote:

> Physically hauling away the couches is no problem. I just don't want
> to do it if there's a lot of people who think it's an idea that does
> more ill than good. What are other people's thoughts?

No.  This is not about the couches.

Personally, I like having comfy couches to sit on.  It makes the
place feel, well, comfortable.  To me, getting rid of the couches
would be cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, an admission of
failure to solve the problem.

I get the sense that some (such as those advocating a policy of no
sleeping applied to everyone) are trying to make sure to treat people
fairly, by treating them equally, and that *that* is what Christina
is calling into question.  It's true that if we allow a double
standard then some people will cry foul.

But is that necessarily a problem?  I for one give my experience
actually being at Noisebridge considerably more weight than the
hypothetical online rant of some persona non grata about how unfairly
he or she was treated.  Maybe such a person's friends might be
dissuaded from coming here.  Maybe that's a bonus.

Are we predominantly egalitarian, or meritocratic?  In a meritocracy,
everyone is *not* equal -- contributing earns privileges (and being a
dick gets you kicked out).  But everyone is entitled to select the
level at which they contribute.

> Getting rid of the couches seems like it would be fairly
> non-controversial.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Josh