[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 05:00:01 UTC 2011

Thanks Liz,
This answer is going to be bit personal. I'm happy that someone still have an energy to write a reply, even if I do not see any effect on Al, as usually. I've very strong feeling, based on both my personal experience (sleeping/living at Noisebridge) and general experience (being involved for around half year on nearly daily bases), that Al is basically unable to realize that if somebody has different opinion he should respect it and just gave up sometimes. I see him to argue the same points again and again like a stuck gramophone LP or waiting for several months to bring the same topics up. I've to say that I really do not think that this is OK and when I see so many people trying to tell him "please leave it" and he just goes on and on and on, strange. It seems to me that his threshold of taking "no as an answer" is way somewhere else than for majority of the people. It actually resembles, at least to me a behavior of Patric quite a bit.

I do not like to bring out old things but I should point out that bringing my behavior to the public by Al in that time was done in way which I think was inadequate based on Noisebridge social norms. I was woken once by Al in the morning and he talked to me briefly about me sleeping in the place, whey, when etc. the same day I've seen threat with my name "that I'm moving out of the place" on Noisebridge discuss. No another discussion, no another members talking to me or having a chat all together, no meeting, nothing. My name in open directly without any possibilities to change my behavior etc. This resulted in a big drama because many people realized that this way of treating the situation was poor and many people were happy with me being in place because of various reasons. It is history, solved. I brought this up because I've a feeling that basically the same pattern is on again, and actually quite similar story.

Sadly because of this "poor social behavior" we are loosing a constructive energy from one of the dedicated members and because of "quality" of this thread many potential and possible currently active members.

Please do realize that there are and will be people who do not want to be "official members" even if they are very active/key members of the community. The openness of Noisebridge is enabling us to harvest their potential. I think that we should be very careful with "only official members policies".

Anyway it looks like that openness of Noisebridge is going to prevail, Hallelujah!

Sincerely,

Frantisek

PS I'm sorry if this is going to feed the drama even further but I really do not like the way how Al is handling the opinions of other Noisebridge members.