[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 19:55:24 UTC 2011

> There are other hacker and maker spaces which limit entry more strictly
> to members only.  We have built one that is different and with politics
> that lots of people value.  I actually can't see why you are being so
> negative and heavy handed. It's completely unnecessary, and honestly,
> you're starting to sound like you're on a total power trip.

I don't think Al is being negative and heavy handed at all; he's
coming from a different perspective that comes from the fact that,
more often than not, he and Rubin the ones who tries to deal with
people when they act ungraciously.  Which, frankly, is a shit job and
I'm glad and somewhat amazed that he's been keeping at it.

I would prefer a members only (or members sponsered, at the very
least) policy after hours because it seems to me that as long as we
have open doors at all hours, there is drama.  Here's some of the
things that fall out of that policy in the wee hours of the morning:

* People sleep there.
* People come in from the bars, drunk and shouting.
* People play loud music.  No, loud CRAPPY music.
* People get stoned.
* People try to steal from the tip jars (cf. citizenkeys) and from the
space in general.

This happens at other times as well, of course, but I think that
leaving Noisebridge open to the public by policy (i.e. the only moral
authority you have to kick them out is because they're being douches)
causes stress to the body at large.  There have been times in the past
where I've been working late, thought about going to Noisebridge and
then NOT GOING, because the likelihood of running into drama is too
high, and kicking someone out for being a douche is hard.

The fact that many people are considerate and respectful of the space
is great, but Al is trying to address the problem of the people who
are not respectful of the space.  He deserves some respect for that.

Will.