[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker in Afghanistan

Just Duncan justduncan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:42:19 UTC 2011

Regardless of one's position on the military actions of our country, I have
the highest respect for our country's men and women in uniform who are
putting their lives and limbs on the line so that you can write whatever
you think without fear of being taken away in the night, tortured, killed
and also putting your family and friends at risk of the same.

Personally, I think it is very disrespectful, rude, and inappropriate to
pile on your political views in such a sanctimonious way on this very
personal request for support of a fellow hacker about to embark on an FOB
mission.  No one in their right mind enjoys killing people and I'd bet LCol
Pacer is no exception.  He's not going forward to kill innocent people, but
he has my full blessing to kill those who are trying to kill him, who are
building and placing IEDs with him in mind, those who killed 6 friends in
WTC and Mark Bingham on 9/11.  It's called a war zone for a reason and, in
case you haven't heard the news lately, we are withdrawing from the country
by the end of the year.

The Taliban aren't very nice people, even to their own.  This is what they
did to a beautiful 18-year old girl who fled her abusive in-laws-- and not
just her nose, both of her ears too:

[image: time-magazine-afghan-girl-nosejpg-353a12e38f89803a_large.jpg]

Evil does exist in the world and it generally isn't very generous about not
getting it's own way without the use of force.  Evil is a cancer, an
insidious side of humanity that, when organized, can lead to genocide.  Had
we not fought and won WWII against the Nazis, God only knows what would
have happened.  I think it's pretty safe to say that Nazis weren't exactly
big on free thought and speech, much less gays, Jews, or people with Jewish
sounding last names.

Thankfully, millions of Americans have had the bravery to go and fight
where we as a nation sent them with far more courage than it takes to
thoughtlessly whip out such a personally un-excellent email as yours.  This
isn't about killing people or the politics/morality of war.  This is about
a person, a fellow hacker, someone probably scared shitless (I'm
projecting, yes), and someone who is focused 110% NOT on killing people,
but simply getting himself and his buddies back to their families in one
piece.  This is what I am wishing him-- a nation's thanks and a safe
return.

If you don't want to be supportive and wish this young man the best with a
speedy and safe return, then don't.  At the least, remember how blessed you
are to be able say what you feel, consider your forum and audience, and
don't assume that "most people agree."

*I don't agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your
right to say it.

**I have a moral imperative to speak up and risk stirring the pot when I
feel those near the bottom are at risk of getting burned.*
*
*