[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker in Afghanistan

Just Duncan justduncan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 22:03:17 UTC 2011

Technically, sort of... But there are those who have joined gambling
they won't be in combat in order to support their families with health
insurance when they can't find other work... Or joined un part in the
hopes of gaining skills useful after their service (e.g. Pilots)... Or
must now serve for 5 years as a condition after graduation of getting
their education paid for with an ROTC scholarship or Academy
appointment– perhaps the only way they would have been able to afford
such an education without running up the indentured servitude for life
or full repayment called "student loans".

For those with financial means, yes, military service is a choice.
Money vastly changes the choices in life one get's to choose from.
For the rest of us, we're just trying to better our lot in life or, at
the least, stay in the dinigroom to find the scraps dropped from the
table.

Life is complex, life can be random; you're actual experience may vary
from expected.