[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker in Afghanistan

Jack Perkins jackaperkins at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 22:12:12 UTC 2011

I have a brother-in-law in the service and I certainly do not wish him
harm. I'd like him to go over and come back in once piece. I do
however find it difficult to understand his motivation and attitude
towards joining and serving. These wars received some of the largest
protests in human history against them; I cannot think of a larger red
flag for joining up.

As far as military service as an escape from corporate servitude, I
can think only of Dwight Eisenhower's farewell speech:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower%27s_farewell_address

-Jack