[Noisebridge-discuss] email password cracked - what to do?

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 00:26:10 UTC 2011

I have a bunch of reasonably knowledgeable friends who have had their
accounts hacked, and it is almost invariably because they use the same
password on multiple sites. Once one site is cracked, it's like dominos
falling.

Usually the weak link was an online forum or e-commerce site, usually small,
home-made, self-admin'ed. All it takes is carelessness, and an intruder (or
heck, even the site owner fallen on hard times) has a list of email accounts
and passwords (to that site). Try the passwords against the email accounts,
facebook accounts, etc, and the hit rate is likely to be really high.

A good technique is to use complex root passphrase, with a systematic
permutation of it for every website you use. Even if the permutation is
predictable to a human, it will defeat automatic systems.