[Noisebridge-discuss] desktop computer at welcome desk location

jim jim at well.com
Tue Sep 6 23:39:48 UTC 2011

    more thanks for clarity.

    as to [1], the idea of throwing a gravitational singularity
into the core suggests having someone like miloh or al or mitch
or yourself or ... utter a tho't out loud, maybe in a
meaningful-sounding tone of voice.

    my experience in other communities has led me to believe
that the core of any group is from 7 to 15 percent. if the core
is generally happy, it is out toward the 15 percent range. if
the core is happy, another 35 percent of the community can be
occasionally enlisted to help out in various ways at various
times.
    if the core is unhappy, it drops toward 7 percent and can
enlist a smaller percentage of the community less often to
help out.
    note that it's unreasonable to expect to get more than 50
percent of the community to help out in any way: i.e. 50
percent of the community floats on the work of the rest.
    the core is constantly shifting. codifying the core is
not possible and has a demoralizing effect. being mildly
welcoming and generally happy is the only way to attract
people into the vortex. of course, it's not clear when any
new personages have joined the core, not for a while, anyway,
just as sometimes core people kind of fade away slowly,
unnoticeably at first.
    like gardening, nurturing the core is an ongoing business.
the best metric is the sense of happiness in dealing with
others.

    my experiences at noisebridge confirm my beliefs, albeit
in a fuzzy way.